Thursday, January 17, 2008

On Monday, returning from work, I saw a sticker on my door that the DHL deliveryman had come by but was unable to deliver. It had two tracking numbers on it.

On Tuesday, I typed the two tracking numbers into the DHL website to see where the packages were. If delivery had been attempted (successfully or not), I would have proceeded with my usual routine of gym and then grocery shopping, before returning home. As it was, one of the packages had been successfully delivered. The other had not. I remarked to A. how inefficient it was for the same delivery company to put two packages with the same destination on different delivery trucks, and headed straight home.

At home, there were two boxes, one from DHL, the other from Airborne Express. I ate some food, then realized that the tracking number on the Airborne Express was the second of the two packages that DHL had tried to deliver before. So, I guess DHL delivers for Airborne Express now.

One of the boxes had a DVD drive in it. The other had the carrying case. It was brown ("chocolate"). I had ordered black.

Not much else to report. Just the usual: pipe smoke in my room every day, cigarette smoke in the halls. There's a guy who walks by my window and coughs vocally as he walks by every day. It happens right when it is time for me to wake up, so on most days it is the first thing I hear. Sometimes, it even wakes me up. Ah, another day.

This week, a young man coughed vocally as he walked past me at the bus stop. On his shoulder facing me was one of those alloy clips that are used for rock- and mountain-climbing (and some people use to attach attach their wallets to their belts). This one, however, was shaped like a fish. Often, the people who cough in a very loud and attention-getting way are wearing some sort of religious paraphernalia. Usually, it is a cross around the neck. One particularly annoying guy wears a big Star of David.

There are other people I've learned to recognize. One guy has gray hair and a gray beard, and always wears a baseball cap. I've run into him at the Main Library, at the Roxie, and other places.

One of the lawyer's colleagues called me back and we scheduled a meeting. I am thinking about what I'll say then.

No comments: